Occasionally when using an EPSON scanner connected via USB (Standalone scanners ES400/500, etc, not Multi-Function Printers) you will be met with Device is in Use when attempting to scan a new document.
This is a fairly common error, luckily the fix is very simple.
Steps to resolve:
- Save any open work you have on your local machine or VM if applicable.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
- Restart your local workstation while the scanner is still disconnected.
- After logging back into the local workstation, connect the USB cable back to the computer.
- Wait about 10 seconds for the machine to register the USB device connection.
- Attempt to scan again.